Like any writer, I try and read as much as I can. My most recent favourite reads are:
- Skippy Dies by Paul Murray – funny, clever, moving, poignant, this is the kind of book you can get happily lost in for hours.
- The Night Watch by Sarah Waters – a brilliant evocation of post-war Britain.
- Mrs Hemmingway by Naomi Woods – Exquisitely written, this book wears its craft with lightness and grace, deftly evoking history and character and plunging us straight into the heart of each woman’s story.
Some other, long-standing favourites are:
I love pretty much anything by Margaret Atwood, Carol Shields, Ann Tyler, Barbara Trapido, and Isabel Allende. Other favourite novels include:
- Not Wanted on The Voyage, Timothy Finlay
- When Rain Clouds Gather, Bessie Head
- The Shipping News and Accordion Crimes, Annie Proulx
- The White People, Maggie Gee
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Safran Foer
- No-one Belongs Here More Than You, Miranda July
- For Esme, With Love and Squalour, J.D.Salinger
- After Rain, William Trevor
- Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage, Alice Munro
- The Adoption Papers, Jackie Kay
- Belfast Confetti, Ciaran Carson
- Kid, Simon Armitage
- Out of Time, the pleasures and perils of ageing, Lynne Segal
- Edgelands, Paul Farley and Michael Symmons Roberts
- The Small Heart Of Things, Julian Hoffman